Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ten Thousand

Some things happen because you plan for them, and other things just happen.  On October 17, I hit 10,000 miles on my bike.


I wasn't really focused on the total miles that I'd racked up on the bike, but when I replaced my chain earlier that week and noted the mileage for the maintenance in my log, I noticed that I was just about one ride short of this milestone--a near unbelievable coincidence.  So, I kept an eye on the odometer at the tail end of my Sunday spin with the DogMagnet, and snapped a shot of the odometer at The Moment.  Oddly enough, I hit the mark right in front of one of the schools that I supervise.  I guess the whole thing was just kismet.


My bike's name is Luigi.  I bought him in June 2009, and he is the first road bike I've owned since the Schwinn Continental I had when I was in high school.  He's a red Specialized Allez, and I named him after one of the characters in Cars (even though he's yellow, not red), and also because a red bike just seems to need an Italian name.  Even if Allez is French.  We live in a complicated world, and some things just are the way they are.

An aluminum-framed road bike isn't anything to get too excited about, but Luigi and I have been through a lot together, and my bike is special.

And that kinda sounds like the first couple lines of the Rifleman's Creed, which can be overgeeked into:

This is my bicycle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My bicycle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....

No comments:

Post a Comment